21.2.20

[OBDF 310] Milestone Project 2

Parametric Design for Manufacturing



     For this assignment:

  • I developed 3 definitions for parametric vessels in Grasshopper.
  • I "baked" the designs into Rhino, adjusted (i.e. Cap, ExtrudeSrf (top) 10 mm, BooleanUnion, Copy, Split, ExtrudeSrf (cross section of half vessel), DupFaceBorder), and exported the objects to stereolithography files. 
  • I uploaded the stereolithography files into Slic3r and 3D printed the vessels (full and half of each design) with PLA filament. 
  • I laser cut match-plates (using the DupFaceBorder curve in Rhino). 
  • I cast two-part molds in plaster for each design. 
  • I slip-cast each mold twice: 1) raw; and 2) altered. 


Below are screenshots of my definitions, renders, as well as photos of the 3D printed mold positives and plaster molds.


     i) Cup 1






     ii) Cup (zig-zag)






     iii) Cup (Polygon --> Circle)









The following are photos of a) the 3D printed forms, b) the "raw" casts, and c) front and back views of the "altered" casts:











Reflection

  • Developing the definition was my biggest challenge. I had drawings of the zig-zag and polygon/circle cups in my sketchbook but struggled to realize these forms in Grasshopper. In the end, Bryan helped me figure out the key components (Weave and Dispatch).
  • The initial sizing of the laser cut acrylic match plate was off. The cut out shape was too small to fit the half-form. To fix this, I adjusted the scale of the silhouette in Rhino and passed it through the laser cutter again (approx. .85–1 mm on the top and bottom). 
  • The 3D printed forms and acrylic match-plate cracked. To avoid this problem in the future I will add more perimeters to my 3D prints and use 3 mm cast acrylic. 
  • Less technical/more ethical, re: amount of duct tape used to assemble the acrylic box/cottle. This step didn't really jive with the material waste considerations ethos. I am still thinking about an alternative solution.
  • Next time I will calibrate the specific gravity of the slip before casting. This will make the process more systematic and allow for more predictable results. 
  • I was inspired by the work of Peter Pincus and A. Blair Clemo to experiment with coloured slip. These preliminary results aren't great, but overall I am enthusiastic of the potential of this process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment